- This event has passed.
Academic Nursing Unit (ANU) Short Course: Palliative Care Two Day Program
12 May, 2022 - 13 May, 2022$340
This is an introductory 2 day program. This course focuses on the care of patients in the palliative care setting. Topics include Models of care, communication, Adolescent & Young Adult and Palliative care, moral distress, symptom management, dying at home, challenging issues at end of life, voluntary assisted dying, care of the deceased patient and panel discussion.
Learning Objectives & Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this learning program, the learner will be able to:
- Define palliative care
- Identify models of care utilised in palliative care
- Recognise the importance of effective communication in the palliative care setting
- Discuss issues related to Adolescent & Young Adult receiving Palliative care
- Recognise the impact of patient management decisions on the healthcare professional
- Describe the management of key symptoms for patients receiving palliative care
- Describe the barriers and enablers for home death
- Identify challenging issues for the management of end of life care
- Discuss the care of the deceased patient
At the completion of this 2 day program and with further reading, it is expected that participants will understand the concept and philosophy of palliative care and its practical application in the care of patients with life limiting illnesses. They will have developed an approach to some of the challenges involved in providing palliative care, including caring for young people at the end of life, the impact of voluntary assisted dying, and caring for people at home. Participants will have developed understanding of the assessment and management of common symptoms encountered in patients receiving palliative care, and will have enhanced confidence in communicating with patients and relatives.
For general course enquiries contact reception on 03 8559 7591 or email EducationCentre.Nursing@petermac.org
For course content enquiries contact Tracey Taylor, Short Course Coordinator. Email: Tracey.Taylor@petermac.org.
For issues while purchasing and enrolling in your course, please contact the Learning Hub Helpdesk at LearningHubSupport@petermac.org