Consortium Developed Resources
Over the years, the consortium has developed a number of resources to meet the need in the region:
Meditation & Mindfulness
These are difficult times. Many of our clients will be very anxious about the chance of becoming infected with a deadly virus. Many people will be worried about their loved ones and finding isolation difficult. With this in mind this webcast will attempt to cover the basic concepts and language around Meditation and Mindfulness in the hope that it may provide some strategies that will be useful and give health professionals a way of providing information about this that could help. It may also offer health professionals some strategies for self-care.
CLICK HERE! to access the webcast
Health Professionals: Caring for Your Mental Health & Wellbeing (podcast)
This 22-minute podcast discusses the mental health and well-being of health professionals generally, and nurses in particular, during the Coronavirus pandemic.
The experiences of those on the front line of care will be challenged as never before and this podcast provides information, strategies and tools to assist health professionals to prioritise their own wellbeing and self-care.
CLICK HERE! to access the podcast.
CLICK HERE! for the podcast transcript.
CLICK HERE! to access further resources
What is Palliative Care? (webcast)
This webcast explains palliative care, including the types of supports and services offered from palliative care providers and how palliate care can empower patients, their carers and loved ones. It also promotes early referral and briefly explains the referral processes and models of care.
CLICK HERE! to access the webcast.
Promoting Quality of Life – Speakers Kit
This resource will assist palliative care services to establish a system to more proactively engage with the community, through training and supporting volunteers and staff to deliver talks to community groups. It includes information on processes to establish, tips on public speaking and a PowerPoint presentation.
Palliative Care Conversations
This program has been developed to train clinicians in generalist health services to understand the palliative care sector better and to improve their skills to have conversations with clients around referral to palliative care. It includes a facilitators guide, a session plan, a PowerPoint presentation and handouts. It is a train-the -trainer resource and can be used by experienced palliative care staff to train their non-palliative care colleagues.
To receive a copy of the resource please email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Consortium Manager).
Consider the Carer
This resource is aimed at clinicians and helps them to better understand the practical and financial issues around caring for someone with a terminal illness. It includes relevant links to organisations that can assist with finances and practical issues. To view the resource Click Here!
Disability Fact Sheet Series
While these fact sheets are aimed at staff in group homes, they can also provide some relevant information for palliative care staff with clients in group homes. Please see below (Resources: Disability) for the list of topics and to access individual fact sheets.
The SMRPCC Aged Care Project Officer, Jane Newbound has an aged care specific resource list which can be sent to you. For a copy of the list please email her on email@example.com
Please also see below (Resources: Aged Care) for additional resources to support RACFs in implementing the palliative approach.
Monthly Email Update
Each month the SMRPCC distributes an email update which includes training opportunities, useful resources and Consortium news.
CLICK HERE! to access previously distributed Monthly Updates.
To subscribe to the Monthly Update CLICK HERE!
Education & Events
Please see our Monthly Training Calendar for palliative care education and training opportunities within the region.
The following services publish training calendars which include education relevant to aged care, palliative care and the palliative approach:
- Centre for Palliative Care –https://www.centreforpallcare.org/page/31/online-courses
- Palliative Care Online training – https://www.pallcaretraining.com.au/
- End of Life Essentials – https://www.caresearch.com.au/caresearch/tabid/3866/Default.aspx
- Understanding Dementia – https://mooc.utas.edu.au/courses/understanding-dementia-2018-07
- Preventing Dementia – https://mooc.utas.edu.au/courses/preventing-dementia-2018-05
Palliative Care Services in the Region
Palliative Care Services in your region
- Calvary Health Care Bethlehem
- Palliative Care South East
- Peninsula Home Hospice
- Cabrini Palliative & Supportive Care
Residential In-Reach Teams
- Centre for Palliative Care
- Centre for Culture, Ethnicity & Health
- Australian Centre for Grief & Bereavement
- Caresearch – Information about Education/Resources
- RAC Hub
- Program of Experience in a Palliative Approach, Department of Health & Ageing (PEPA)
- Alzheimers Australia Vic
Resources: Aged CareCOVID-19 Newsletters & Resources
- COVID-19 RACF Newsletter No 8, 26 August 2020
- COVID-19 RACF Newsletter No 7, 30 July 2020
- COVID-19 RACF Newsletter No 6, 24 July 2020
- COVID-19 RACF Newsletter & Resources No 5, 13 July 2020
- COVID-19 RACF Newsletter & Resources No 4, 3 July 2020
- COVID-19 RACF Newsletter No 3, 10 Apr 2020
- COVID-19 RACF Newsletter No 2, 2 Apr 2020
- COVID-19 RACF Newsletter No 1, 27 Mar 2020
- RACF Resources, 5 May 2020
- COVID-19 CHECKLIST, 2 Apr 2020
- COVID-19 RACF Resource List No 1, 27 Mar 2020
- Basic Clinical Guidelines for COVID-19 Positive Residents
- IMPREST Medications for RACF’s
- IMPREST Medications for RACF’s – FAQ’s
- IMPREST RACF Register – Sample
- The Introduction of a Palliative Approach on our Facility
- Interpreting the 10 Steps to Implementation of a Palliative Approach and
- Advance Care Directives: Which Form Do I Use?
- VAD Information for Residential Aged Care Facilities
- Link to SMRPCC Aged Care Home Page
Disability Fact Sheet series:
- No 1 What is palliative care (2015)
- No 2 Advance care planning (2016)
- No 3 Care planning for palliative care (2016)
- No 4 Involvement of the coroner (2016)
- No 5 Bereavement in a group home (2016)
- No 6 Advocating for people with a terminal illness in a group home (2017)
- No 7 The process of Dying (2017)
- No 8 How to care and listen (2018)
- No 9 Care and dying where the resident chooses (2019)
- No 10 Consent and decision making for medical treatment
- NDIS: Fact Sheet for palliative care physicians
Resources: Motor Neurone Disease
- Link to SMRPCC MND Home Page
- www.mnd.asn.au Motor Neurone Disease Victoria
- https://edu.mndhub.org.au/lms/course/15931-MND-Aware# – information, education, research and training for health care professionals and for people with MND and their families and carers.
- Calvary Health Care Bethlehem – management of neurological diseases including MND. Provides secondary consultation for health care professionals. Phone: 9596 2853
- Victorian Respiratory Support Service
Victorian Respiratory Support Service: 24 hours 7 days a week state wide service
Outreach nurses: 94963665
After hours: Austin Hospital Ward 5 West: 94963685
- Motor Neurone Disease Research Institute of Australia
- Frontier Neuroscience Research Australia