Consortium Developed Resources
Over the years, the consortium has developed a number of resources to meet the need in the region:
Promoting Quality of Life – Speakers Kit
This resource will assist palliative care services to establish a system to more proactively engage with the community, through training and supporting volunteers and staff to deliver talks to community groups. It includes information on processes to establish, tips on public speaking and a PowerPoint presentation.
Palliative Care Conversations
This program has been developed to train clinicians in generalist health services to understand the palliative care sector better and to improve their skills to have conversations with clients around referral to palliative care. It includes a facilitators guide, a session plan, a PowerPoint presentation and handouts. It is a train-the -trainer resource and can be used by experienced palliative care staff to train their non-palliative care colleagues.
This resource is aimed at clinicians and helps them to better understand the practical and financial issues around caring for someone with a terminal illness. It includes relevant links to organisations that can assist with finances and practical issues.
Disability Fact Sheet Series
While these fact sheets are aimed at staff in group homes, they can also provide some relevant information for palliative care staff with clients in group homes. Please see below (Resources: Disability) for the list of topics and to access individual fact sheets.
The SMRPCC Aged Care Project Officer, Jane Newbound has an aged care specific resource list which can be sent to you. For a copy of the list please email her on firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also see below (Resources: Aged Care) for additional resources to support RACFs in implementing the palliative approach.
Monthly Email Update
Each month the SMRPCC distributes an email update which includes training opportunities, useful resources and Consortium news.
CLICK HERE! to access previously distributed Monthly Updates.
To subscribe to the Monthly Update CLICK HERE!
Education & Events
Please see our Monthly Training Calendar for palliative care education and training opportunities within the region.
The following services publish training calendars which include education relevant to aged care, palliative care and the palliative approach:
- Centre for Palliative Care –https://www.centreforpallcare.org/page/31/online-courses
- Palliative Care Online training – https://www.pallcaretraining.com.au/
- End of Life Essentials – https://www.caresearch.com.au/caresearch/tabid/3866/Default.aspx
- Understanding Dementia – https://mooc.utas.edu.au/courses/understanding-dementia-2018-07
- Preventing Dementia – https://mooc.utas.edu.au/courses/preventing-dementia-2018-05
Palliative Care Services in the Region
Palliative Care Services in your region
Residential In-Reach Teams
- Centre for Palliative Care
- Centre for Culture, Ethnicity & Health
- Australian Centre for Grief & Bereavement
- Caresearch – Information about Education/Resources
- RAC Hub
- Program of Experience in a Palliative Approach, Department of Health & Ageing (PEPA)
- Alzheimers Australia Vic
Resources: Aged Care
As part of our Aged Care Project to support RACFs to implement and sustain a palliative approach to care, resources have been developed to clarify activities and documentation referenced in the Palliative Approach Toolkit.The new resources cover the following aspects of implementation of the palliative approach:
- The Introduction of a Palliative Approach on our Facility
- Interpreting the 10 Steps to Implementation of a Palliative Approach and
- Advance Care Directives: Which Form Do I Use?
- VAD Information for Residential Aged Care Facilities
For further information about our Aged Care Project activities, please contact Jane Newbound at email@example.com
Jane has an aged care specific resource list which can be sent to you if you email her on firstname.lastname@example.org
Disability Fact Sheet series:
- No 1 What is palliative care (2015)
- No 2 Advance care planning (2016)
- No 3 Care planning for palliative care (2016)
- No 4 Involvement of the coroner (2016)
- No 5 Bereavement in a group home (2016)
- No 6 Advocating for people with a terminal illness in a group home (2017)
- No 7 The process of Dying (2017)
- No 8 How to care and listen (2018)
- No 9 Care and dying where the resident chooses (2019)
- No 10 Consent and decision making for medical treatment
Resources: Motor Neurone Disease
- www.mnd.asn.au Motor Neurone Disease Victoria
- https://edu.mndhub.org.au/lms/course/15931-MND-Aware# – information, education, research and training for health care professionals and for people with MND and their families and carers.
- Calvary Health Care Bethlehem – management of neurological diseases including MND. Provides secondary consultation for health care professionals. Phone: 9596 2853
- Victorian Respiratory Support Service
Victorian Respiratory Support Service: 24 hours 7 days a week state wide service
Outreach nurses: 94963665
After hours: Austin Hospital Ward 5 West: 94963685
- Motor Neurone Disease Research Institute of Australia
- Frontier Neuroscience Research Australia